While a lot of our attention this week was on Tuesday night’s BuildForce ‘Go Live’ event at the Tower of London, we recognised that declaring BuildForce ‘open for business’ was only the start of things. We also need to demonstrate our active commitment and take BuildForce to places where it can be seen by Service Leavers and Veterans.
So, less than 48 hours later, a small BuildForce team set up a stand at the Career Transition Partnership’s employment fair at Newbury racecourse in Berkshire. It was a busy day for the team (Caroline Logan, Chris Dransfield and Mike Davis-Marks), who registered over 60 new potential beneficiaries, while also attracting interest from new organisations interested in joining the BuildForce Alliance.
For Service Leavers and Veterans, CTP employment fairs provide:
- a fantastic networking opportunity – whether you’re ready to apply for live jobs or simply researching the market
- the chance to meet employers who already recognise the skills and experience Service Leavers can offer
- presentations from key employers about their recruitment processes and vacancies
- a wide range of companies, from small regional organisations to large multinationals, from across many different industry sectors
- the opportunity to chat with Service support organisations, CTP staff, and other Service Leavers who are also going through the resettlement process
Mike Davis-Marks said:
“We were initially unsure how a CTP Employment Fair would work for BuildForce, but it became immediately obvious that it had real reach to our potential beneficiaries with people queuing up at times to register. As a result of this week (including our new website, the Go Live event, and the CTP fair), we have probably now registered nearly 100 beneficiaries.
“The next CTP Fair is on 16 March in Salford and we’ve reached the immediate conclusion that we need to be there.”