JOB TITLE: Senior Quantity Surveyor
PROJECT: HPC1 – Ancillary Projects
REPORTING INTO: Managing Quantity Surveyor
A Senior Quantity Surveyor is required on the HPC1 Ancillary Projects that Bouygues UK have secured. The role will be project based in Somerset and provides candidates with an opportunity to work on nuclear projects with a large scope for progression in the South West. The projects are working under the NEC form of contract and experience in this form is desirable but not essential for the right candidate. The successful candidate will be provided with an opportunity to join a dynamic team working on two exciting projects (£40m) at the Hinkley Project Site with work commencing in September 2018.
Job Purpose and Scope:
- Maximise the commercial results of projects in terms of delivering optimum profit performance against internal budgets on an NEC3 form of contract.
- Maximise the Cash position of the Company.
- To liaise and collaborate with Production & Design regarding all contractual aspects.
- Liaise and collaborate with Production & Design regarding all contractual aspects
- Procurement of Sub-contractors
- Financial & Contractual management of Sub-contractors
- Preparing and agreeing Interim Valuations with the Client & for progressing the agreement of Variations as the work proceeds utilising company tools [This will be led by the Managing Surveyor on site with the support of the SQS]
- Preparing timely monthly Financial reports which accurately forecast net margin & activity utilising the company tools, procedures & rules [This will be led by the Managing Surveyor on site with the support of the SQS]
- Collaborating with the Project Manager and other members of the Project team.
- Obtain & understand the company reporting timetable, as well as key tools & procedures, including Compass
- Promoting the training and development of Graduates and Assistant QS’s
- Represent and serve the best interest of the company
- Create and maintain strong internal and external relationships
Accountabilities and Key Tasks:
Financial Reporting & Control
- Prepare financial reports accurately & on time for monthly review utilising company tools and processes & procedures including monitoring of cash position and over value/ under value.
- To report compliantly with the Financial Rules of Reporting.
- To attend regular review and control meetings with the Project Manager &/ or Managing Surveyor.
- To play a key role in the achievement of the margin, reviewing it on a monthly basis with the Project Manager/Managing Surveyor and positively contributing to enable it to be realised.
- Take ownership of and manage Risks & Opportunities as assigned
- Undertake checks of design & drawings in order to identify potential scope increase and/or cost increases to Sub-contract Orders.
- Challenge costs at all levels, in particular Sub-Contractors.
- Ensure recovery strategies are prudently reflected within forecasts
- Engage in and provide Commercial information for the “Objective and Point” meetings
Design Management and Value Engineering
- Ensure checks are carried out to ensure design drawings are in accordance with the E.R’s and/or C.P’s.
- Ensure that Design Appointments are contractually robust and reflect our obligations under the Contract.
- Encourage Value Engineering to reduce the scope of works & to reduce the cost of the works
SUB-CONTRACT & CONSULTANT PROCUREMENT
- Adhere to the Sub-Contract Tendering Guidance Notes
- Contribute to and adhere to the dates given on the Tender Enquiry (TES)/ Procurement Schedule.
- Ensure that the placing of subcontract orders are robust and provide the most cost effective solution for the project. To ensure that sub-contract payment terms are compatible with the terms and conditions of company requirements in order to maximise the cash flow on the project.
- To works with Project Manager/Director and Technical Manager to develop fully comprehensive scopes of work.
- To ensure that compliance with the HPC (Hinkley Point C) procedures are adhered to.
- Prepare Sub-contractor Invitations to Tender
- Prepare and complete the Tender Analyses including accurate reconciliations against budgets.
- Chair and/ or attend Final Tender Review Meetings
- Complete Internal Control documentation & support to enable sign off and approval processes to be followed.
- Prepare Sub-contract documentation for agreement & signature by Subcontractor and relevant internal Powers of Attorney
- Process all necessary building control fees and Statutory Authority charges.
- Ensure that all collateral warranties or professional appointments required in relation to Architects, M & E Consultants, Structural Engineers or sub-contractors are actioned in a timely manner.
SUB-CONTRACT & CONSULTANT MANAGEMENT
- Collaborate with the PM to in respect of Value Engineering that can be implemented to reduce to cost or scope of Sub-contractor works including Cost / Benefit Analysis of design options.
- Prepare all necessary contractual notices are in place with sub-contractors/ consultants and suppliers and recover costs & proportional costs incurred as appropriate to maintain financial objectives
- Value Sub-contractors works correctly according to the Sub-Contract Conditions whether lump sum or Re-measured.
- Challenge all costs and minimise the cost of variations.
- Check and/or prepare interim valuations and/or final accounts submitted by domestic sub-contractors with particular attention to variations and day works, and raise disputed items with sub-contractors promptly.
- Agree final accounts with sub-contractors to maximise project margins in conjunction with PM.
- To ensure payments are raised and that certificates are properly processed on time and in line with the pre-agreed valuations from Client Account.
- To ensure notice of Payment and/or Payless notices are issued on time and in line with sub-contract & procedures.
- Prepare and respond to correspondence.
- To liaise with the Managing Surveyor and Project Manager on disputed accounts, current sub-contract problems, and the subcontractor’s agreement or otherwise in settling the accounts.
- To keep the Managing Surveyor and Project Manager informed and fully briefed of any high risk sub-contractors/ suppliers/ consultants.
- To advise the Managing Surveyor and Project Manager of the likelihood of potential disputes, Adjudications, or legal action arising from sub-contractors/ suppliers and/ or consultants.
- To provide support, guidance and advice to the Project Manager/Director relating to such matters as the issue of Notices to Commence, Site Instructions, Clean & Clear Notices and Contra charges.
CLIENT ACCOUNT MANAGEMENT
- To agree a schedule of valuation dates that support the maximisation of Cash Flow
- Prepare interim Valuations utilising company templates.
- Prepare & issue interim Valuations on time or early, in close liaison with the Project Manager and Managing Surveyor to maximise the cash flow on the project.
- To actively chase the Employer for payment against invoices raised to ensure that payment is received within the timescales described within the Contract.
- Track the agreed and disputed amounts along with any certificates and receipts of payments on the project. Report any potential problems to the Project Manager and Managing Surveyor.
- Prepare a Forecast Final Account is prepared progressively throughout the project.
- Secure the maximum financial entitlement in respect of Variations and/or Additional works
- Price Client Variations progressively throughout the contract to enable the final account to be agreed as close as practically possible to practical completion of the project.
- Provide detailed substantiation that is provided to the Client QS or PM is recorded.
- Regularly meet with the Client QS to agree Interim Valuations and Variations
- Compile a Draft final account and comprehensive supporting files of variations & claims and any other substantiating information prior to PC.
- Collaborate with our PM to in respect of Value Engineering that could be implemented to generate savings which could be shared with the Client.
- To work closely with the appointed Managing Surveyor and the Project Manager in preparing plans for the recovery of extensions of time awards, loss and expense accounts together with any other contractual correspondence that may be required to protect the Company position. To agree the course of action on claims before instigation.
- Contribute to the production of the Contractors Monthly Progress Report
- Attend monthly Client Progress meetings
- To ensure that retention monies are released to the Company at the correct and appropriate time & notify the appointed Project Manager/ Managing Surveyor of any outstanding issues that may defer release of retention monies.
- To advise the Project Manager & Managing Surveyor of any potential disputes or legal action.
- Always seek guidance, where unsure
- Compile a Final account and comprehensive supporting information in conjunction with the PM and/or MQS as a priority after PC.
MANAGEMENT OF GRADUATE AND ASSISTANT SURVEYORS
- To provide actively manage Graduates and Assistant Surveyors to ensure that they are provided with the opportunity and experience that they require.
- To work with Graduates and Assistant Surveyors to ensure that they are complying with the requirements of the training plan.
- To provide constructive and accurate feedback regarding performance to promote continuous improvement.
- To encourage the achievement of professional qualifications
- To actively encourage feedback and comments from Graduates and Assistant Surveyors on all aspects of the project.
- To advise the Managing QS of any perceived performance issues.
Essential and Desirable Criteria:
- Ability to understand and retain knowledge
- A “Can Do” attitude
- Demonstrates strong attention to detail and produces accurate work.
- Experience in the construction industry
- Has technical knowledge and is profit minded
- Must be methodical and process driven
- Understanding of NEC forms of contract
- IT Literate, Document control and use of collaborative shared platforms (4P)
- Ability to communicate proactively with all stakeholders
- Familiarisation with BIM level 2
- Chartered member or RICS, CIOB or an appropriate body relevant to the role.
- Experience of working in a heavily regulated and secure environment
CV’s must be submitted in a pdf format.
|Job Category||Quantity Surveyor|
|Closing date for application||Before Mid-day on Friday 14th December 2018|
|Salary||Up to £65k with additional benefits|