Major Projects: Highways – Major Highways
ROLE LEVEL: Grade E5
Reports to: Section Engineer
LOCATION: UK Wide
ROLE PURPOSE: To undertake Site Engineering control and implementation of works on site, including monitoring and
reporting of progress.
DIMENSIONS Financial: Data Collection through on-site records (diary, photographs, file notes). Monitoring of Budget
(including labour and plant in use in their section)
Organisational: No direct reports
INTERFACES Internal: Assistant Engineers and Site Engineers, Operations Team (all levels), Health and Safety Team,
External: Subcontractors, Occasional interface with Client
- Live the Balfour Beatty Values
- Ensure a relentless focus on Zero Harm
Support the delivery of CSUK’s Sustainability activities
Health Safety & Environmental
- Production of Task Briefing Sheets
- Contribution to production of Permit to Dig, including briefing to the workforce
- Carries out associated briefings
- Carries out Safety Inspections
- Hazard Identification and contribution to development of Safe System of Work
- Setting out from primary control provided by others
- The provision of sketches detailing the setting out information installed
- Maintain survey equipment including registers of equipment and testing regimes
- Read and determine information from drawings, schedules and specification
- Production of as-built drawings & records for every element of the works involved in
- Completion of Quality Check Sheets and production of information for Handover Documentation
in a timely manner in line with programme
- Maintaining accurate records – Daily Diary, photographs, records of site discussions
- Measures actual materials used and reconciles with theoretical measure, reporting and
investigating reasons for differences
- Works to Weekly Programme (drafted by others) and marks up progress achieved weekly
- Contributes to collection of data for Key Performance Indicators, including reasons for difference
- Production of accurate daily diary of resources, including labour, plant, materials,
subcontractors and outputs
- Produces weekly measure. Take offs and schedules materials accurately, producing accurate and
clear requisitions, following through to delivery
- Understands what is classified as additional work and understands how to record this
- Familiar with actual resourcing levels versus budget and reporting of reasons for difference
PERSONAL QUALITIES AND EXPERIENCE
The following qualities/experience are essential:
- Able to clearly communicate the requirements of a safe system of work to ensure that these are
- Capable of taking ownership of tasks and communicating outcomes
- Strong work ethic with flexibility to work unsociable hours/nights
- Able to work on own initiative and seek out opportunities in line with level of responsibility
- Holds a current driving license and CSCS Card
- Must be a good team player, with strong communication and interpersonal skills
Health Safety & Environmental
- Understands Permit to Dig System
- Environmental awareness
- Setting out techniques – ability to use level & EDM, plus GPS
- Able to report issues with control and information provided
- Reads and understands drawings and schedules
- Understands Activity Control Plans and production of resultant information for handover file
- Strong understanding of construction tolerances
- Awareness and use of Specification and other Contract documents
- Able to produce detailed documentation for handover of completed works
- Able to take off and schedule material quantities accurately
- Knowledge of specification and contract documents
- Understands what constitutes additional works
The following qualities/experience are desirable:
- Leadership skills developing
- Targeting and actively progressing professional accreditation (eg ICE, IHT)
Results Driven: Demonstrates a passion and excitement for his/her work. Tackles problems head-on and
works to resolve them without delay.
Focus on Excellence: Willing to go the extra mile to exceed expectations. Continually searches for ways
to add value and take performance to the next level.
Teamwork & Collaboration: Puts aside personal agendas to work for the benefit of customers and
suppliers and other stakeholders. Proactively builds knowledge through sharing knowledge, ideas and
expertise with others.
Customer Focus: Is dedicated to meeting the expectations and requirements of internal and external
customers. Actively collects customer information and uses it to improve services and solutions.
Manages the experience of customers to ensure positive relationships are established and maintained.
Operational Excellence: Plans and organises work to safely achieve maximum efficiency and output.
Delivers results consistently.
Adaptability: Learns quickly. Adapts positively to changing business and customer demands. Is
energised by change.
CV’s must be submitted in a pdf format.